Enjoy 9 breathtaking days hiking the iconic Swiss Alps and soaking in Swiss culture
Explore medieval cities like Berne. Savor picturesque villages like Thun and Zermatt nestled under the majestic Matterhorn. Visit the beautiful cities of Luzern, Grindelwald, and Zurich. Hike through Alpine pastures of the Berner Oberlands. Enjoy the quaint villages of Lauterbrunnen Valley. Trek through the Alps while gazing upon famous peaks like Eiger, Monch, and Jungrau.
Our itinerary alternates high-energy hiking days with relaxed sightseeing days.
- Day One: Arrive in Switzerland by plane. We will be there at the airport to ensure you find your way to the hotel. After checking into your hotel in Zurich we will hop on a train headed for the city center. You will see the beautiful city of Zurich, Switzerland. Zurich is the largest city in Switzerland. We will start this day with a ferry ride down the River Limmat, the ferry will glide down the river that winds through the city and out onto Lake Zurich. After our ferry ride we walk from the lake into the city where we will see 3 major cathedrals; Grossmunster, Fraumunster, and St.Peters. We will walk the quaint back streets of Zurich which offers a glimpse into the local life of Zurich. We will end our day with a dinner together and the stroll down the famous Bahnhofstrasse. We will do our best to stay awake and beat the ever present, jet lag!
- Day Two: We will say goodbye to the big city and hello to the Swiss Alps. After checking into our Alpine hotel we will hit the trails for the first time. We will take the train into Lauterbrunnen Valley and ride the cable car up to Grutschalp, from here we will begin our hike. Our hike will take us through Alpine pastures, quaint villages, and offer the view of the Eiger, Monch, and Jungrau. After a long hike we will head into Lauterbrunnen and take in a quick city tour then it is on to dinner for a much deserved meal!
- Day Three: Today we start right outside our hotel in the village of Wengen and will spend a full day out on the trail. The network of trails offered in this valley is amazing and the views will be sure to take your breath away. We will ride the famous narrow gauge cogwheel train up to the top of Schynige Platte. The views of both the towering Alps and the lakes below with be breathtaking! We will view the Alpine Garden at the top before hitting the trail. The views of the big 3, Eiger, Monch, and Jungfrau will be incredible from our vantage point on the trail. We will hike to the top of Faulhorn where we will stop for lunch at the oldest Alpine Hotel in Europe. We will then make our decent into the Luetschen Valley passing Alpine meadows along with bubbling creeks and streams and an occasional cow or two. After an amazing day hiking in the Alps we will return for dinner and reflect on the beauties of the day!
- Day Four: We will leave the trails today and head to the capital city of Switzerland in the medieval city of Berne. You will be quickly transported back to the middle ages and be engulfed in the cities charm and beauty. We will stroll down the covered arcades and visit the Parliament building, the Berne Cathedral, and of course the Bears. After Berne we will hop on a train to Thun, one of the prettiest city you will ever see. After our busy day in the city we will end with a delicious dinner.
- Day Five: Back to the trails in the Swiss Alps. Today's journey will take us on some of the most breath taking hikes that can be found in the Berner Oberlands. Today will be the most challenging one as we will hike up to Obersteinberg at the end of the Lauterbrunnen valley. This hike will definitely test our legs but the views along the trail are well worth it. This is also a trail that is not heavy populated so we will feel as though we have Switzerland to ourselves. We will have a picnic lunch on the trail enjoying the surrounding beauty. There are several stopping points if someone decides they are unable to make it to the top. The view of the large waterfall from Obersteinberg and the surrounding Alps are incredible! After a great day of hiking it's back to a well deserved dinner at the hotel.
- Day Six: A Swiss hiking tour would not be complete without a day hike in the Zermatt region. We will board a train that will take up all the way to the quaint village of Zermatt nestled below the towering Matterhorn. We will take the famous Matterhorn trail to the village of Zmutt, here we will stop for lunch and enjoy the views. From there we will cross the valley down to the village of Furi, for those who are adventurous we can walk across the high suspension bridge. After a full day on the trails we will do some souvenir shopping in Zermatt and board the train back to our hotel for dinner.
- Day Seven: Today we will head into the valley of Grindelwald. This beautiful valley has towering views of the Eiger and Wetterhorn Alps. There is something for everyone here with zip lines, trotti bikes, paragliding, alpine slides, and so much more. On this our final day in the Alps for hiking we offer a very challenge hike for those who are up for it. Or for those who would like to relax today there is the option of a lighter hike and then some shopping in the village. We have a great dinner in our Alpine hotel and share our adventures we had that day!
- Day Eight: We will say goodbye to Berner Oberland and leave the trails for the streets once again, this time visiting the beautiful city of Luzern. We will take a two hour train ride on the famous Golden Pass Train that will traverse up a steep mountain pass. Our city tour in Luzern will include several cathedrals, Chapel Bridge, a stroll along the lake, and of course the Lion's Monument. After a full day in the city we will head to Zurich for a scrumptious final dinner.
- Day Nine: After our morning breakfast we will say our Goodbyes and head to airport in Zurich to catch our flights home!
Tour price: $2695 (based on double occupancy)
- All accommodations in both Zurich and Wengen
- All transportation once in Switzerland including an 8 Day Swiss Rail Pass
- All breakfast and dinners
- All Museum Entrance Fee
- All train tickets on private trains including Gornergrat Matterhorn train & cable car rides
- Tour Guide services 24/7
Not included:Beverages (beer, wine) with meals, (laundry, phone calls, room service).
Ready to join us? Follow the instructions below to reserve your spot!
Member Only Information (please log in to see):
Event Date & Time:
- Date: May 21, 2020 - May 29, 2020
Time: Members Only