Camping in the woods, just 1 hour from downtown Houston!
“The park is on the Brazos River, near an old ferry crossing.
It is part of the Commercio Plaza de San Felipe; our front entrance is a mile from the center of the historic town of San Felipe. San Felipe was the seat of government of the Anglo-American colonies in Texas.”
If you’ve tried to book a camping trip recently, you might have noticed that the parks closest to Houston are completely booked! We already got some camping spots for this trip!
You bring your food and gear (ask about borrowing) and let’s hang out in the park!
Member Only Information:
- $14 - if you have a current TX state park pass
- $24 - if you don’t have a TX state park pass (fee includes the park entrance fee.)
- Park Entrance
- Campsites, Walk-in Primitive - water in the area - (the road goes by campsite so looks like you can unload and then park instead of carrying from the parking lot) Amy will bring solar battery for a little electric.
- Group firewood (for a moderate fire. Bring extra if you want a larger fire)
Note: Food and community gear is not included in this camping trip
How to find the group:
We will provide you a specific reservation number that’s required to use when you enter the park. They will let you know which campsite to go at that time.
The office closes at 7pm. If you arrive after the office closes, you must complete the self-pay form and add the reservation ID that we provide you & your state park pass info if you have one.
What you need to bring:
- Tent (ask about borrowing, you need to pick up and bring back)
- Ground pad (ask about borrowing)
- Camping Chair (ask about borrowing)
- Sleeping bag
- Food & Cooler
- Cooking stuff (pots, utensils, plate, bowl, cup, stove, gas, lighter, etc.)
- Headlamp, light source.
- Clothes (bring layers)
- Sturdy shoes for hiking
- Comfortable shoes for camping
- Games, a book or something for entertainment
- Mountain bike, optional
How to borrow gear:
You can borrow a tent, ground pad, camping chair, camping stove but you must submit a request & pick up at least 72 hours before the event. All gear needs to be returned within 72 hours after the event.
Pick up and drop off location is in zip code 77023.
Email amyhope@HTXoutdoors.com to request gear for this trip.
What to do at the park:
We’ll organize a hike during the trip. Feel free to bring a mountain bike and explore trails on your own.
This is a laid back camping trip and you’re free to make it what you want.
About the Park:
“Stephen F. Austin, the "Father of Texas," brought the first 297 families here to colonize Texas under a contract with the Mexican government.
From 1824 to 1836, San Felipe de Austin was the capital of the American colonies in Texas. It was also the social, economic and political center.
Austin and other famous early Texans lived in San Felipe. It was the home of Texas' first Anglo newspaper (the "Texas Gazette," founded in 1829) and a Texas postal system. The Texas Rangers formed here, as well.”
Event Date & Time:
- Date: November 8, 2019 - November 10, 2019
Time: 4:00 pm - 10:00 am
Add to calendar
Venue: Stephen F Austin State Park
Venue Website: http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/stephen-f-austinAddress: